Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Kaw Seals

The following work actually occured over a week ago but we had so much going on with the Water4Life ride I decided to wait before posting the work done on the Kaw.  As mentioned previously, there was some leakage occuring around the gear shift lever that had to be dealt with.  I ordered the seals and they arrived promptly.  The chain cover portion of the tranny was already off so I still had to take the outer transmission cover off to get to the seals.  Using an impact wrench, I was easily able to remove the chain sprocket and then take out the multitude of allen bolts to get the cover off.


I performed a visual inspection of the componants on the tranny and everything looked great.



Upon inspection of the cover, I found the leaking culprit!  All along I had assumed it was the shift lever seal.  That seal was actually in very good condition.  It was the main seal instead! And oh how bad it was.  Fortunately I had ordered seals to replace all of them.  If your gonna tear it down, replace them all while your at it.   Below is a visual of the torn main seal and the clutch seal too.  The bad ones are on the left, the new ones are on the right.


I cleaned the covers well and put in the new seals.  Put the new transmission cover gasket on and reinstalled everything.


Once it was all back together I put the oil back in, adjusted the clutch and took it for a ride.  I got about a half mile down the road, pulled the clutch in to shift into 3rd......and......SNAP!  NO CLUTCH!!!  The cable broke right at the clutch lever.  So I idled it back into the garage, removed the outer cover AGAIN, and removed the cable.  I was able to order a new one from Old Bike Barn for $17.  Not bad at all.  Until the cable broke, the bike ran well.  Until the cable arrives I wont be doing anything else to the Kaw.  I still have to replace the fork seals but want to finish this work completely first.

No comments:

Post a Comment