Monday, October 7, 2013

Fort Worth HOG 2013 Chapter Picnic & Parts Installation

This weekend was super busy for both of us. Again, we had plans to do some work around the house but all of that changed when Margaret got her new grips. I received the call from Fort Worth Harley that her parts had arrived earlier in the week so we went to get them Friday evening. When we got to the dealership they also had the saddlebag guards I had ordered. I started whining a bit to Margaret that Saturday would be a labor intensive day without rest, slaving away installing parts. During this whining along with the support of Nick, Patrick, Daniel, and Phil, she grabbed a set of edge cut saddlebag hinges off the shelf behind us for my bike and said that would be my payment for doing all the work. Awesome, whining pays off!

Saturday was a parts installation day. I started with her grips and we decided to do our first video of parts installation. In the past we would post photos of the process so we wanted to mix things up a bit and see how it went. I wont elaborate here about it since the entire process is covered in the video. It did come out really good and I hope it can help someone install their own grips and adjust their throttle by watching it.

I also installed the saddlebag guards and saddlebag hinge covers on my bike. We also did videos of that process which I'll work into future posts.

Sunday was the Fort Worth HOG Chapter Picnic! This is an annual event and our second time attending.  It is held at the Canyon West Golf Course in Weatherford, TX which is a beautiful place to have the picnic. We met at the dealership to line up for the parade ride to the golf course. This year the weather turned out very nice from the previous year. It was a bit chilly in the morning, 58 degrees when we left the house but soon warmed up to the mid 70's. The parade ride went well, no traffic issues and it turned out to be a very pleasant ride to start the morning. Upon arrival those that wanted to ride the golf course staged while others parked their bikes.  This is a unique opportunity that Canyon West allows us. We ride our bikes on the cart paths for all 18 holes and stop on the 9th for a photo shoot of the Chapters members. It's a whole lot of fun and brings a good laugh to be able to do this. Golfers are taking pictures of us and waving as we ride on the cart paths while were waving and taking their pictures in return.

Next on the agenda were bike games! I love the bike games. We are a motorcycle riding group thus bike games only make sense! There were 5 bike games offered and Margaret and I did all of them. I was very proud of her because she competed in the single rider slow race even though she is still new to riding. She said she didn't want her fear of trying something new on a bike to keep her from doing it. The bike games included a single rider slow race, couples slow race, ball drop, road kill toss, and weeny grab. We did well again this year taking 1st in 4 of the 5 bike games.

After the games, there was a yummy lunch and home baked sweets to satisfy our hunger. Shortly after eating lunch the monthly Chapter meeting was conducted, prizes for the bike games, and raffle ticket prizes were given away. The day concluded with a water balloon toss and a poke and run game. I was the unfortunate victim that broke the water balloon and got wet.

We rode home and relaxed from all of the excitement. We were both tired and didn't even take time to download our pictures for the blog. I didn't even take the GoPro this time. For whatever reason, I didn't want to keep up with it or worry about taking video. I just wanted to enjoy the day, spend time with Chapter members, and have fun. Margaret took the camera though and managed to snap a few shots. Until next time, Ride Strong, Ride Safe.
Installing Grips and Adjusting the Throttle on a Harley Davidson 2013 Softail Deluxe




3 comments:

  1. With all the work you do on our bikes you deserve a few vanity parts for yours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like the bikes are coming together nicely!

    Margaret has the right attitude about riding, get out there and do it. It is fantastic that she isn't one to let fear stop her. I am sure your encouragement helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I used to have to give her that little pat on the back and say "you can do it" and watch her hesitantly ease in to what ever it was she was doing. Now though shes jumping right in the midst of activities dragging me along! At the picnic I told her she didn't have to do the slow race to which she replied "Forget that! I'm doing it! If you want to sit on the sideline and watch me go ahead!" Shes unstoppable and it's awesome.

      Delete