Friday, January 10, 2014

Hard Lowers

For a long time, dunno how long, I just know its been a long time, I've wanted to get hard lowers for my Street Glide. I looked at leather lowers but just couldn't get in to them. They just didn't give a look I would be happy with. I have seen a few Street Glides with hard lowers and thought it looked awesome. Not only that but with my work commute I thought they might help with the cold on my legs. So many times after riding in 45 degree temperatures for over an hour I would arrive at work in misery with chilled legs.

I had shopped around extensively but just couldn't seem to find a price vs quality I was comfortable with. Then one day I just happened to find a site on Ebay that had 20 sets for sale. I didn't have the money at the time but I kept the link for future reference. We saved a bit of extra money and decided if they came back up for sale again we would buy them. A couple months later the same company called Cali Biker Club put them back up again. They only put 20 sets up for sale again starting at $145.00. Margaret immediately purchased a set. Within a day all 20 sets were sold and we noticed as they sold the price went up. The last few were selling at $220.00 and still went quick.

When they arrived we were extremely happy with the quality of the pieces. The plastic is thick and strong and they came with a quick disconnect mount. The only downside is they were not painted. I suppose that could be a good thing since you can then have them painted to match your bike and its better for the paint shop to have an unpainted surface to work on than trying to strip or paint over an already finished product.

I took them to Colorworks Motorcycle Refinishing in Keller, TX upon recommendation to have them painted and have to say these guys know their trade and they are true craftsmen at painting. The finish was a perfect match and was a nice super deep gloss. It almost seems like you could just keep looking deeper into the finish and never quite find the end. They were very reasonable with their price charging me $200.00 for a finish that is immaculate. They also do custom air brushing and paint designs and are a hell of a lot of fun to talk to as well. They have some samples on the wall of some custom paint options to show their craftsmanship which is enticing for someone like myself that wants to get a bit (or a lot) of custom paint work done.

We put together a quick video of before and after, its nothing spectacular but its a good way to show the lowers. I didn't show the process of putting them on though since there's not much to show seeing as there are only 3 connectors that hold them on.

For a grand total of $350.00 I was able to get a beautiful set of lowers for my Street Glide. A little patience and careful shopping can go a long way toward getting what you want for your bike at an affordable price. Not only that but we were able to support the fine craftsman of our community by having them painted locally.

Hard Lowers on a 2012 Street Glide Video


Below are a few pictures of before and after







No comments:

Post a Comment