Thursday, March 20, 2014

Grumps in Granbury

Tuesday turned out to be a beautiful day even though I worked all day. After my 120 mile round trip commute I rode into the garage to find Margaret standing there with her helmet on. I looked at her googly eyed and curious as to what she thought she (and I) were supposed to be doing. Her response was "Your taking me riding tonight!" Keep in mind here as you evaluate her request that I had been up since 5 am, rode 120 miles, part of that in rush hour traffic, worked all day, rolled back into the garage 12.5 hours since getting out of bed and now she wants to ride... Oh my! What to do? After being married to her for 20 years I have learned to choose my battles and this was not one of them.

I pulled her bike out of the garage for her while she finished gearing up and pulled my bike back out of the garage again. She didn't even give me a destination preference. All she said was she was hungry and we were riding to dinner and I had to choose where. I'm thinking, well, ok, then! You want to ride? I'll give you a ride. Off we headed to Granbury to get some burgers at Grumps, I figured the 40 miles to get there in the nice 81 degree temperature would make for a nice evening ride. 

At first to be honest I just didn't want to go. I was tired from working, but I was hungry and hadn't had a good burger since we last went to the Horny Toad Bar & Grill in Cranfills Gap. As we rolled down the back roads away from the hustle and mania of the city my mental and physical tension faded and the ride became quite enjoyable. I settled into the seat and set a comfortable speed that gave us time to enjoy the scenery as we moved along. There was a brisk wind but not overbearing enough to cause any bike control discomforts.

We arrived at Grumps around 7:00 pm and took our time eating and having some good personal time with each other. It was almost 8:30 and getting dark when we left for the ride home. The temperature was still in the high 70s' even when the sun went down. We rode most of the way in the night. It was quiet and beautiful with only the rumble of the engine to be heard steadily driving the bike along the road. It was a great time clear your mind and bring the day to a close before heading to bed. 

I'm glad she insisted on taking a dinner ride. I'm not sure how to explain it or why the ride was so nice, but for some reason it was more memorable than a lot of short rides. Even the next day we both agreed there was something special about that dinner ride. Maybe the weather, maybe the ride, maybe the scenery, maybe the night, maybe the food, maybe all of it. Sometimes there isn't always a reason as to why except that maybe it was just meant to be...







1 comment: