Sunday, May 4, 2014

Button Removal and Replacement on Leather

This post is way out of the ordinary from the topics I usually write about but it is riding related. As we were performing the repairs I thought, huh, I wonder if any other riders out there do this or would like to know how if they've not done it before. You might even want to change your buttons to a different style. So, we made a short video of how to remove and replace the button snaps on a leather vest.

I've had my vest for 2 years and put a few patches on it representing some of the things I've done. My Chapter patch, Patriot guard missions, HOG mileage awards, things like that have a place on my vest. The main reason I even wear a vest though is not for a parking space for patches and pins, its to keep my clothes from flapping around while riding. Flapping clothes are distracting and uncomfortable and I don't like it. The vest solves that issue. Recently though I've had a problem with the snaps coming lose. The outer edge and snap ring were both worn and wouldn't stay secured to the other side of the snap. Something had to be done.

Vests are not cheap and especially once you put a few embroidered items on it. The particular vest I have which is a Street & Steel cost about $129. Then add a name rocker, chapter top rocker, chapter logo, a couple more small patches, and if you have to pay someone to sew them on that cost is now well over $200. Margaret fortunately does sewing, pattern design, and embroidery and takes care of attaching our patches or even making some of them. Aside from the cost of the vest and everything on it, I just like my vest. It's well worn in and fits well.

My first concern was the button covers. Mine are a buffalo nickel button and I wanted to keep that historical aspect of the button. We began shopping around and came across Tandy Leather. They had everything and more you could ever want or dream of to do with leather. Another good thing is they are local. We try to support local business when possible, its just the right thing to do as long as local businesses are reasonable. We went to their new store in South Fort Worth off I-20 and Campus drive to see what they could do for us. They had stacks of leather and accessories beyond what we imagined. They also had buffalo nickel buttons that were exactly like the ones I needed to replace. We had to purchase a button punch which would set the button and secure it into place as well. The buttons were $3 each and the button punch was $6. For $18 dollars we got everything necessary to repair my vest.

The video shows the entire process to remove and replace the buttons. Once you do one you'll find it's quite easy. You can also repair or replace the buttons on a jacket or any other leather products. Hopefully you'll find this helpful.

How to Remove and Replace Button Snaps on a Leather Vest




No comments:

Post a Comment