Saturday, May 10, 2014

Loco Coyote- Glen Rose, TX, April 2014

This post contains the first riding video for quite some time. I upgraded my PC OS from Windows XP to Windows 7 and found my video editing and compilation software was incompatible with the new OS. We decided to just do photos for awhile until we purchased new video software. So the GoPro just sat there unused wasting away. I had to get familiar with the new video software as well since Sony made some changes to the interface and it's capabilities.

A few weeks ago we took a short ride and since it was such a nice day Loco Coyote seemed to be a perfect destination. We didn't want to go too far since meteorologists were forecasting thunderstorms moving in during the evening. With it's mainly outdoor seating and laid back atmosphere you can't go wrong. Before heading out we stopped by the dealership to see their Spring Event. We were a bit early but the parking lot was filling fast. They had a dyno drag racing platform that you could race your bike against someone else, a beer garden, food, and a band as well. It looked to be a good event but we wanted to ride and see stuff instead of sitting there all day.

While we were there I purchased an extended warranty for my bike. The factory warranty expires at the end of May so I had to make a decision whether to ride it without the warranty and take the risk of a major breakdown which I would have to pay for out of pocket. I've had a few minor problems since purchasing the bike two years ago. I've had rocker box gasket leak, the voltage regulator went out and had to be replaced, I broke a motor mount so that had to be replaced, and recently the shift lever that connects to the transmission shift rod came loose and couldn't be tightened. It had been over torqued when assembled and there wasn't any gap left to tighten it when it came loose. Harley had to remove the entire primary to replace that one lever. These malfunctions were all covered and would have easily cost me more out of pocket than the extended warranty I purchased. I have now ridden the bike 45K miles in two years so as the miles add up the likelihood of a breakdown will increase. I purchased enough warranty on the bike for an additional 4 years with unlimited mileage and still have the option of adding even more warranty as long as I purchase it before rolling over 75K miles. Even though I do my own maintenance I really don't want to get into having to perform a major repair. I don't have all the specialty tools or the time for a big repair. Besides all that, Fort Worth Harley has provided us with some of the best service we have had in any line of business and when I've taken the bike in for warranty work they have done a great job taking care of it. Last year I wrote a post titled "Maintenance Level Limitations" which goes into more detail about my feelings in this area.

After the visit to Fort Worth Harley we headed for Loco Coyote. It was a bit windy, but manageable, especially after that grueling ride to Sweetwater, TX a few weeks back. Once we got off the main roads and onto the smaller FM roads there were enough trees to block the wind and the ride was quite enjoyable. The road we took runs through the Paluxy river in a few spots so if its been raining it can be impassable. Only one of the spots had some water we had to ride through and it wasn't very deep.

We had a nice lunch, only eating about half of the gigantic portion they serve, and that was both of us sharing a single order. They don't play around when it comes to filling you up.  It was nice to watch the bikes come and go, enjoy the cool day, hang out, and relax awhile.



Loco Coyote- Glen Rose, TX April 2014 Video




No comments:

Post a Comment