Sunday, June 16, 2013

Margarets Softail Deluxe

For months I have had to endure the whining from Margaret saying "Wheres my Harley?!"  I learned to tune the question out or pretend not to hear her say it.  As she has gotten more comfortable riding the kawasaki I knew the question would have to be addressed eventually.

Friday she sent me a text asking if we could get her bike early.  I didnt really see the need to seeing as she still doesnt have her license yet.  I told her that and she agreed but wanted to stop by Harley and take a look at the bike.  We also wanted to find out about pricing for the bike so it seemed reasonable to stop by and talk to our salesman and get some concrete numbers based on different options to choose from.  So off we went to Harley when we both got home.

Race (thats our salesmans name) offered quite a few different scenarios based on bike color, term, warranty, down payment, etc.  We both had agreed on a ballpark amount that we would settle with.  While he was working up options we were looking at the bike and discussing things we would need to put on it.  We would need a super reach seat replacement, engine guards, and windshield immediatly.  So we went to the parts counter to get some prices on those items. 

Race came over to us with some figures and asked us what we thought.  Without even looking at me Margaret said, "I just want to know when your gonna finish this paperwork and sell me my bike?"  Race laughed and said, "Ok, Im on it!" There I am looking at her with this WTF? look on my face!  Did she just buy that thing!? So much for my input, she just took control and got it.  That woman wanted her bike!  I just settled into the back seat on this one and let her go.  A few minutes later Race was pushing her bike out the front door to take it to service to be prepped.

While we were at the parts counter trying to decide when we were going to buy the parts we needed, Race came to us and said "I forgot to tell you, Harley is doing a promotion where they give you a gift card for $500 if you buy your bike in June."  Wooooot!  That was a bonus we had not counted on!  So the parts manager worked with us and in the end we got the seat, engine guards, windshield, and a fender bib which they had to order.  We got all that stuff and only had to pay $19 extra.  As far as the bike goes, we got it for right about what we wanted to spend and with a 4 year extended warranty.  We were completely happy with the entire purchase even though it was a bit sudden.  I want to give a special Thank You to Race and Nick in parts and also to all of Fort Worth Harley for helping make this happen.

I picked it up the next day while she was at work and put all the parts on to have it ready for her to ride.  We went out Sunday morning so she could get her first ride in on the new bike.  There was some learning for her to do as the bike rides completely different than the kawasaki.  Lower center of gravity, longer wheel base, longer turn radius, heavier, forward controls, tighter clutch, wider handle bars, etc.  She did good though, never dropped it and was riding it around quite well.

Margarets First Ride on her Softail Deluxe




3 comments:

  1. How exciting for both of you. From what I have read on your blog I am going to bet you are as excited as she is. I am looking forward to hearing about your rides together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you found out that you have to stay out of a woman's way when she makes up her mind, lol.

    She did a good job picking out a bike. It is a true woman's bike; strong and sexy. She does seem to be making the transition to the new bike quickly. Once she takes her class she'll be on road with everyone in no time. Congratulations to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all! We appreciate the encouragement and kind words.

    ReplyDelete