Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Patriot Guard- Memorial Day 2013

This year for Memorial Day Margaret and I took part in a Patriot Guard mission.  The mission was to set up a flag line and flag back drop for the speakers of the ceremonies and to respectfully stand tall and silent.  The placing of the flag and wreath presentation that represented all branches of the armed forces was performed by the Mansfield High School ROTC.  Many speakers including Rick Crabb from the Patriot Guard reminded us of the importance of remembering the men and woman that died in service to our country.

I guess as I get older my perspective is beginning to change.  I have attended Memorial Day ceremonies in the past but they didn't move me like this one did.  I just didn't appreciate the sacrifice our countrymen made so we could live free.  This year though my heart was heavy with the understanding that these men and woman gave their life so we could live as we do.  When I say "understanding", their sacrifice was finally a reality to me that never took hold of my heart as it did this year.  Then when you consider their families and friends loss as well, their sacrifice runs deeper.  These men and woman died for our country, their family, their friends, and for all of us. They gave the ultimate sacrifice and should not be forgotten.



Patriot Guard Memorial Day Ceremony video





No comments:

Post a Comment